SCHOLEAD Archives

January 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Adam Van Auken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 01:40:09 -0500
At 09:59 PM 1/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I was once told that you get out of something what you put into it.  It's
> amazing
>how true this really is.  The prior comments about the "multi-cultural"
ripoff
>classes at Miami, seem to focus more on the falacy of the Miami Plan
rather than
>the issue at hand.  If one feels that taking Western Civ isn't important,
that's
>fine.  But, to deprive people who have the desire to even just take a
class at
> the
>university level is rediculous.  If someone can't make it at the college
level,
>they'll flunk out.  But, it's amazing how many people I know who went to
> Columbus
>State or some 3rd rate college who have better than average intelligence.  I
> think
>sometimes we take for granted the privelage it is to be "one of the elite."
>Realistically, people are going to flunk out of college.  It happens now
to the
>spoiled little rich kids.  But, there are people out there who have more
drive
> and
>determination to be at college than many of us have.  And you know what?
It's
>about time for them to be given that opportunity!
>    Yes, there are college grads out there flipping burgers.  It happens.
You
> get
>out of it what you put into it, and I'd be willing to bet that there are
people
> out
>there who are willing to put a lot more into it... but can't because of
money.
>What a stupid reason to be held back.
>
>See 'ya,
>- mAtT -

I agree with the money issue.  Instead of trying to get everyone to
college, more scholarships should be set up for those students who work
hard, get good grades, but don't have the money for school.  If they get
bad grades, well that's too bad, but I'm not paying for them to go to school.

Adam Van Auken
(513)-529-3982
200 Elliot Hall
Miami University