SCHOLEAD Archives

April 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Meg McGrath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:11:38 -0600
hey there all--

RESPECT of ourselves, others and our community.  Well, everyone seems to
have the first one down pat, but as for the others . . .  I am ashamed.  No
member of this community should feel isolated . . . let me inform you that
I have spoken with many, many this week that have felt this way.  The lack
of sensitivity and maturity in communication, listserv and otherwise, is
not a new problem.  I thought we were all mature enough to handle it . . .
I guess I was wrong.

For the first time I am ashamed to walk into this hall, for this is not a
community based on respect, openness or flexibility.  I thought we more
than tolerated each other . . . I thought we had moved beyond that to a
point of true respect.  I refuse to believe that I was wrong.  I know that
I have taken steps recently to approach those individuals that I believe
have felt isolated this year, and I encourage you to do the same.

Let's not let this year end like this.  The potential still exists and the
opportunity has not passed us by.  I am the first to confess my guilt in
this isolation process, and I ask for your forgiveness.  May we look back
to the beginning of the year at those, dare I say 'community norms' that we
did not embrace as a community, and make a commitment right now to adopt
them personally.

Sticks and stones do break bones, but words can break the spirit!

Thanks all!

=-)sMiLe(-=

Megan Kate McGrath
205 Stoddard