CONNELLS Archives

June 1999

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"John Ranquist." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:28:32 EDT
Hi Kelly,  I have been listening to the Gufs for a few years now and I
noticed after the
first couple times I listened to their 1996 album that there are some
distinctive similarities between the two bands. The song "Lost along the way"
sounds like the
Connells as well as many of their other songs.  I think most of the
similarities
are with the lead vocals and lead guitar.  I just picked up the new Gufs
record and it's good but doesn't stand up to their 1996 self-titled debut.  I
was surprised that Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 contributed background vocals to
a song on the new album.  His background vocals towards the end of the song
just don't fit well with Gufs lead singer- Dejan Kralj vocals.  I think it's
probably a ploy from Atlantic Records (which both bands are signed too) to
give the Gufs a little national exposure, but I don't think any Matchbox 20
diehards will run out and buy this album.  I have never seen the Gufs live
but would like too.  I am from the Chicagoland area and in case you didn't
know the Gufs are from Milwaukee, which is only 90 minutes from Chicago,  so
they do come to town every 3 or 4 month.  I will probably will go to one of
their shows in the near future.  As for radio airplay in Chicago, I have
never heard them on the radio.  WXRT is the best radio station in Chicago.
They play the best variety of rock and progressive rock-spanning over the 25
years.  Over the years,  WXRT have been very loyal to the Connells, they have
played many Connells songs, such as Crown, Start, Maybe, Slackjawed, Carry my
Picture, Hey you, New Boy, Stone Cold Yesterday, Get a Gun,  Something to
Say,  Fun and Games, and Over There.  One song they never played was their
European hit 74-75.  I don't understand why they never played that song!  I
seen the Connells about 15 times live in Chicago - at a variety of clubs and
theatres.  I've  even driven up to Milwaukee to see them on 3 occasions. I
have never been disappointed by any of their live shows and if you have never
seen them live,  I would strongly urge you to do so. I don't know if they
have a strong following in Canada, or for that fact Montreal, maybe that is
why they don't make the trip up north.  If you can't see them in your area,
you might want to come down to the States to see them.  Please fill me in on
any interesting facts or views you have on the Gufs or Connells, or for that
matter, the popularity of the Connells in your town and your thoughts on
their incredible music. Please fill me in!
                                   Thanks,   John
P.S. I was wondering if you saw the new Microsoft commerial which features
background music by the Connells- "Crumbles" off of the Boylan Heights album?