The abolition of the teaching of English grammar is a political program. As a linguist, certified teacher of three foreign languages, it is inconceivable to me that the simple fact that the longer my immigrant students have been in the American public school system the less likely it is that they have any idea how grammars work is an accident. This decision not to teach grammar can only have political motives. Stay pure, stay useless.
Bye,
Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul E. Doniger
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 6:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Great site, run by a brilliant Black lady

This makes two in one day! PLEASE: DO NOT USE THIS LIST AS A FORUM FOR PROMOTING A POLITICAL AGENDA! This is a scholarly group, dedicated to the improvement of English Grammar education. If you're not interested in this, you should leave this list and seek recruits elsewhere.

Not quite as respectfully yours as last time,

Paul E. Doniger