From: Haussamen, Brock
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Great site, run by a brilliant Black lady

I agree that grammar--formal grammar as a component of education--is
political, because the standardizing of language is an aspect of social
power.  But I'm bad at politics.  A popular perception of the last two
decades is that traditional grammar has been elitist, contrary to cultural
diversity, etc., and I can understand that complex perception/misperception.
But what would be the reactionary political agenda behind the abolition of
grammar?

Brock Haussamen