Singular is correct. The subject is neither 'learning' nor 'assimilating', but the entire phrase, "Learning and assimilating new information." The whole phrase is acting as a noun in the subject slot. It would make no sense to substitute 'they' in its place, but you could easily substitute 'it'. If you made the verb plural, then the 'it' in the relative clause ("when it ... ") would make no sense, either.

Paul E. Doniger

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Rabinowitz, Jennifer
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: Help with verbal as subject

I am also not an expert here, but by using "it" you are weighing in with the singular camp--otherwise the choice would be they.  I am inclined towards the singular also--first, learning and assimilating information are not separate acts, but really only two different words to describe the same occurrence (taking in information).   Does that make sense?