And Geoff makes a good point, too! I guess I enjoy doing the "game show host" bit sometimes. But I agree that it is imperative to make the students responsible for their own learning (otherwise, they won't bother to learn -- indeed, sadly, some never do).

Paul E. Doniger
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Geoff Layton
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Something is haunting me.

This teacher angst regarding student boredom ceased to haunt me when I realized that it really isn't my job to make the subject matter interesting. I remind students that people their age have found this material endlessly fascinating over the centuries - in other words, I put the responsibility back on them. So when a student complains "This stuff is boring!" my response is "I really don't care! I love it. I'll explain to you what makes it fascinating to me, and I'll keep on explaining it until you understand it." So the response that it's hard to interest the uninterested is really very well taken. Many students - the bored, the apathetic, the cynical, dare I say the mindless - make it a career to be uninterested and try to put the responsibility on the teacher to entertain them. My former shrink used to counsel that a child's favorite toy is its parents, and I think the same advice holds true for students and teachers. It's a little late in life for me to become a game show host or, God forbid, Vanna White. I've already had one mid-life career change, and I'm not about to have another. And besides, once a student finds out that lack of interest will translate into lack of a passing grade, interest is suddenly rekindled.

Geoff Layton

At 09:57 AM 8/31/01 -0700, you wrote:

A while back a professor wrote to this group asking how he could make a seemingly boring grammar book, the name I will not repeat, more interesting for his uninterested students. Someone answered back something along the line that it is hard to interest the uninterested. It is haunting me that I never answered my opinion on the issue. One of the most important things taught during a teaching credential program is that it is the teacher/professor's responsibility to make the material interesting. I would recommend taking an interactive approaches class. Learn different strategies and methods to get the students up, working together, and getting to know each other. Do you know how many adults watch and enjoy games? They play on baseball teams, watch Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, they sing in the church choir, etc. Make it fun! Their interest will follow.