Hi Cynthia,

Can't say about lutefisk, but down south Hominy [from which grits are
made] used to be prepared using lye in water.  See for example:
Indian Foods and Recipes
http://www.texasindians.com/recipes.htm

Cheers,

Susie

Mary Sue Stephenson, Ph.D.
Senior Instructor & Coordinator of Information Technology
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
604.822-6392 [voice]  604.822.6006 [fax]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Cynthia Van Ness wrote:

> Okay, I admit to confusion.  We're told that lutefisk is fish
> treated with lye, but I thought lye was toxic to ingest.  Yet
> Scandinavian-Americans can be a long-lived lot.  Please
> enlighten me!

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES