Jamie,

The following is quoted from my Operator's Manual for our Preservation
Environment Monitors from the Image Permanence Institute at the Rochester
Institute of Technology;

"The Preservation Index is a means of expressing how ambient temperature and
RH affect the chemical decay rate of collections.  PI has units of years and
gives a general idea of how long it would take for vulnerable organic
materials such as poor-quality paper to become noticeably deteriorated,
assuming that the temperature and RH did not change from the time of
measurement onward.  PI helps us to quantify how good or bad the
environmental conditions are at that moment for chemical deterioration of
the collection.  The "years of life" aspect of PI values was chosen
deliberately to reflect the behavior of relatively short-lived materials.
PI is not meant as a predictor of the useful life of any particular object.
It is simply a convenient measure of the effect of current environmental
conditions on the overall life expectancy of the collection, using
shorter-lived materials as a yardstick."

And the TWPI, then, is "... the total effect of changing conditions over
time ... The TWPI makes it possible to measure the effects, not of just one
set of conditions, but fluctuating conditions, over a whole period of time,
expressed as a single value."

So, when they say "noticeable deteriorated", I'm thinking that means the
typical darkening of the paper, less flexibility, etc.  Not necessarily
totally destroyed, but enough deterioration that you can see that the paper
is starting to break down.  And, typically, higher temperature and relative
humidity levels as well as fluctuating levels will speed up these chemical
reactions and shorten the life of paper artifacts.

That's just my understanding of it.  I'd also love to hear from others as
well.

Sandy Hempe
Conservator
Missouri State Archives