For those of you concerned about your archivists'
 records managers' or librarians' computers operating system...

 From: [log in to unmask]

  edit-level="light"
  from="official GNUbies announcement">

[Please note the required IBM security procedures below to be certain
that you will be able to get in]

We are pleased to announce that David Hand (a programmer and system
administrator) will be speaking on "Putting together a Linux Box (or
buying one)" at our GNUbies (GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners' Group)
meeting tomorrow night.  If you need a new computer and don't want the
OS to self-destruct or invade your privacy, or simply want to run
GNU/Linux because of the things that make it wonderful, you should
attend this meeting.

In addition to the regular general Q&A at the beginning, there will be
plenty of opportunity to ask questions about putting together or buying
a computer to run GNU/Linux.  The details are as follows:

Wednesday December 12th, 2001
6:30-7:00 PM General Questions & Answers
7:00 PM David Hand on "Putting together a Linux Box (or buying one)"
    with topic specific Q&A
at: The IBM Building, 590 Madison Ave.
(57th Street and Madison Avenue)

(prerequisite procedures: you must first email your name as indicated
below and you must bring photo ID)

As always the most up-to-date and accurate information can be
found on the web site at
    www.gnubies.org
or
    www.eskimo.com/~lo/linux

IBM has asked us to implement these security measures for our
meetings.  In particular, it will be necessary to email us your name
in advance if you plan to attend so that we can give them a list of
the people who will be attending.  It will also be necessary to bring
photo ID in order to get in to the meeting.  We regret the need for
these measures.  Our contact person at IBM has assured us that this
list of names will be used for security purposes only (i.e. that no
commercial use will be made of the list).  Please send email to
[log in to unmask] with the Subject "Dec list" (note this is a
"plus" not the letter "t").  Sorry for the inconvenience.

You can use mailto:[log in to unmask] or send return mail with your
name as the top line.

We look forward to seeing you at this meeting.

Lyn
GNUbies
The GNU/Linux/FreeOS Beginners' Group

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <[log in to unmask]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

 From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Monday 10 December 2001 LXNY General Meeting: Planning for Upcoming Show and the Next Refund Day

LXNY will have a general meeting Monday 10 December 2001.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

We will meet at 6:30 pm on the second floor of the Killarney Rose, a
traditional New York City bar with steam table.  The Killarney Rose is at
82 Beaver Street, not far from Wall and Pearl Streets, in the Financial
District of Lower Manhattan.  Go to the back and up the stairs.

This meeting will be an organizational meeting and a discussion meeting and
an eating and drinking meeting.

LXNY and other New York City groups will have booths at the
January 2002 GNU and All Free Software trade show, which show is often
called "the big Linux show".  We need volunteers to prepare exhibits and
also to sit and stand and rant in the Pavilion of All Orgs.

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com

The next Refund Day is finally at hand.  Today no large vendor of IBM style
peecees offers a fair choice of operating systems.  Further no large vendor
abides by the plain and simple Refund Clause of the EULA, which guarantees
you a refund if you do not boot the operating system pre-installed on the
hard disk.  We will present a plan of action to bring this issue before the
courts.  Volunteers are needed to make the next Refund Day an even greater
success than the first, not only in the newspapers, but also in the courts,
legislatures, boardrooms, computer stores, and schools.

http://www.linuxmafia.com/refund
http://www.linuxmafia.com/refund/coverage.html
http://zork.net/refund
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Licensing/Microsoft/WinRefunds/Press_Online
http://www.nylug.org/pictures/index.shtml
http://www.raphinou.com/pipermail/osdem/2001-October/000567.html
http://storeanywhere.com

Upcoming events:

Wednesday 12 December 2001 GNUbies:

The GNUbies will meet in the IBM building at 57th Street and Madison Avenue.

The topic remains to be announced.

This meeting is open to the public.  There is no entrance fee.

If this is your first GNUbies meeting, you must register to attend.
See the GNUbies site for how to do this.

http://www.gnubies.org

Wednesday 19 December 2001 NYLUG:

NYLUG will meet in the IBM building at 57th Street and Madison Avenue,
and after the meeting repair to The Old Stand located at
914 Third Avenue on the corner of 55th Street.

This is the traditional Big NYLUG Winter Solstice Blow Out.

Tremendous amounts of food and drink and swag will be given away!

Free, as in "free beer"!

This meeting is open to the public.  There is no entrance fee.

If this is your first NYLUG meeting, you must register to attend.
See the NYLUG site for how to do this.

http://www.nylug.org

Dates not certain:

There will be an Install Fest within the next few weeks.  We will have a
decent net connection and many helpers, so if you are new to free operating
systems, now is a good time to assemble your hardware.  The best way to
install any OS new to you is with people right there who are able and
willing to help.

The last Refund Day was a success.  The next will carry the battle into the
courts.  If you are considering buying an IBM style "personal computer"
from a large vendor who does not offer a choice of operating systems, and
you would like to help in the fight for fair dealing in the mass market for
peecees, come to the 10 December 2001 LXNY meeting.

Jay Sulzberger <[log in to unmask]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES