There are many vendors who do "film to tape transfer" and there is a
great range in both quality and cost. I would recommend that you make
any transfer onto a high quality videotape format (like Digital
Betacam)and make your VHS copies from this new master. This will reduce
wear on your film when you need additional copies, and reduce cost in
that you will not have to go back an re-transfer from the original film.
I would recommend that you stay away from transfers done by a
"projector" type system and instead use a professional telecine type
device. There are several vendors that make these devices, names you
will hear will be "Rank", "Bosch", "ITK" and others. The important thing
is that the film is handled properly and cleaned properly. IF the film
is damaged you may want to find a vendor that specializes on the
problems of old film transfer, but based on your posting I would
recommend that you simply look on the web for "Telecine Transfer" or
"Film to Tape Transfer" or "Video Post Production". As you would expect
these facilities tend to be located in media centers - so cities like
Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago will likely have the widest choice of
vendor. Systems of the type I am describing cost upwards of $1 million
to purchase and require very skilled operators - so you are using
valuable time and resources.  Expect to pay upwards of $200 per working
hour (not running time) for quality work which may include scene to
scene color correction if you desire for unsupervised work (meaning that
you will not be there to personally supervise the session). Sometimes
these facilities will offer their lower rates if there is no rush
attached to the project - and they can fit them in between other work.

James Lindner
Managing Member

Media Matters, LLC
Email:[log in to unmask]
Address: 15 Washington Place, Suite 2M
New York, N.Y. 10003
Tel + Fax (212)982-4413

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES