I am really curious about what the preference would be:  Jane, the woman to whom I am married?  Probably not "the wife"!

Edith Wollin
-----Original Message-----
From: PAUL E. DONIGER [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 7:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Rule of Thumb

Herb,

I wonder how the same people would react to your wife if she referred to you as "my husband!"

Paul

"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I must also admit that I've gotten into similar trouble for critiquing some of the canons of gender-neutral language, the worst case being when I responded to criticism for referring to my wife as "my wife".

Herb

I AM SOOOOO SORRY TO HEAR YOUR STORY!!! My deepest sympathies to you
and all who still think. And to think that academia was a bastion of
critical thinking.

Rebecca

"If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128). To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"