Bruce,
   You and I have been on different sides of this discusision before
(generally repsectfully, I might add) so it's interesting to see you
question your own position.
    From a functional perspective (I won't say functional grammar, since
that's a loaded term for many people), you can look at syntax as a way
to carry out certain purposes.  If in fact we want to express the
passive (or focus a statement on the receiver of the action rather than
the doer of the deed), the language offers us this option or
opportunity. If what's important is the current state of the building
(demolished), then the language allows that as well.  Syntax doesn't
become unimportant at all--on the contrary.  To be an effective writer,
you need to work in harmony with that syntax, consciously or
unconsciously, and to work with developing writers, it certainly helps
to have ways to bning these decisions into focus.
     If grammar is simply correcting syntax apart from its context, then
we will continue to see a great deal of tension between writing teachers
and  grammarians.  If grammar allows us to focus on nuances of meaning,
or on the way sentences worj in harmony with other sentences and in
harmony with the writer's evolving sense of purpose, then the tension
dissolves.
    Ambiguity is also inherently a part of language, and we can intend
one thing and "say" another, quite easily.
    I thought about this discussion in my writing class today and wished
they had the background to bring it fully into view.  A student picked
out this sentence from an essay by Scott Sanders on "the inheritance of
tools": When the bubble is lined up between two marks etched in the
glass tube of a level, you have aligned yourself with the forces that
hold the universe together.  Is the verb in the "when" clause passive?
 By itself, I would say no, but the active nature of the main clause
(you have aligned yourself...) makes it retroactively active.  It is
something that you have done, not just something that happened to the
bubble. To me, the writing is brilliant precisely because these
syntactic decisions work in harmony with each other.  He goes back and
forth between stative (the joints are square and the members upright) to
dynamic and active (When you miter the corners of a picture frame.)   If
there is a value in corners being square, then there is also a value in
taking the patient care required to accomplish this.
     Perhaps syntax has a reality outside of context; I'm rather tired
of the argument.  Most important, I think, is a recognition that
syntactic adjustments adjust nuances of meaning, and in the hands of a
careful writer, they are made within context. Looked at this way,
grammar is deeply compatible with meaning centered approaches to
writing.  And it deserves far more attention within the curriculum.

Craig