Christine,

I watched as his curtains were always closed (by his maid) whenever I visited
the helpless artist.

I was trying to isolate the fuzziness to a certain domain: semantics or
syntax.
 The two domains drive each other. The syntax is how we put the words and
morphemes together.  The semantics is how we interpret the arrangement.  The
past participle is a syntactic category.  The passive voice (in English) seems
to me to be a semantic interpretation.  When we are taking the past participle
as an adjective, we are attributing a particular semantic interpretation to
it.
It is like an adjective.  If we want to say it is an adjective, which it is
when
we make it gradable (modified by an adverb), we are talking about its syntax,
its derivational morphology. I think this is the way the linguist would
approach
this situation.

Bruce

Bruce,

I agree that it the distinction is fuzzy or imagined, but isn't that often
the nature of language?

Thanks for your explanation. Let's see if I understood it. I'm a baby
linguist.

I noticed that he curtains were always closed whenever I visited the
reclusive artist.
This is a gradable adjective with an adverb or extent.

Now I'm trying to use curtains and closed in a passive construction and my
mind is blank. Can anyone help?

Christine Martin

--

Christine Reintjes Martin