Craig,

Let me add that the justification of separating out "-er" as an adverb is its parallel structure with the adverbs "more", "so", "enough" and "too."  The difference is in the form of the complement.  It is identical to "more" (the preferred comparative for multisyllable adjectives), "two mile more distant."  "So" is complemented with a noun clause (content clause) like a result clause, "so far that I can't go."  "So", "enough" and "too" are complemented with an infinitive phrase (alias "clause"), "so far as to be difficult;" "Far enough to reach easily," and "two miles too far to go."
Bruce

Craig,

You are right.  The better view is that the modification (of a noun) is adjective-like.  I was going off the traditional use of "adverbial" for all notions of time and place, etc.  Hence, "the place where I sat" would be adverbial in that terminology, after all, "where" is an adverb.

Here is how I would (over-)analyze one of your examples.  (It depends on my "quack" theory of principled paraphrasis)
"two miles further"
two = adverbial noun of number (non-count) [tells how many miles]
(many) = quantifying limiting adjective (omitted)
miles = adverbial noun of distance (plural count) [tells how much farther]
(much) = quantifying limiting adjective (omitted)
-er = adverbial suffix of comparison (attached to far [suppletive "farth" or "furth"])
far = adverb of distance (I think the use of further for farther is becoming entrenched in some dialects)

Indeed, I take the "about" to be an approximative adverb in the phrase "about eleven miles."  Such adverbs as "almost" and "nearly" are of this same class.  I think that we can expand the phrase again with another (kind of) adverb "just about eleven miles."

Bruce

Bruce, Michael,
    I'm surprised no one wrote in on this, but isn't "about eleven miles away" adjectival rather than adverbial?  It seems to me to modify Laodicea, with the commas present to accomodate its nonrestrictive nature.  (The Which is test distorts the picture, as it would for many postnominal modifiers. The box on the table.  The box which is on the table.)
    I'm not sure how to describe the internal structure, though it's not the only example I can imagine: two miles further, three days past, and so on.  At a place three miles away, we will stop for lunch.  A restaurant two miles back had been an ideal place for lunch. If I had to choose, I would pick away as the head; it seems to be acting almost like a preposition in a postposition (away about eleven miles).  "About" qualifies eleven.  "about eleven miles" tells us the extent of the awayness. Don't you think?
    I tried some quick research, but couldn't find a treatment of it.  Has someone come up with a name for it?

Craig

Bruce D. Despain wrote:
Michael,

In my grammar I take it as a non-restrictive adverbial (of place)
modification to Laodicea.  Without ellipsis the noun phrase would read:
"Laodicea, (which is) about eleven miles (far) away (from it)."  This makes
_from_ (relation) the head, with the adverb (direction) _away_ modifying it,
which in turn has the adverb (distance) _far_ modifying it, which in turn
has the adverbial noun (extent) _miles_ modifying it, and then the adverbial
noun (number) _eleven_ modifying _miles_ (many varieties of adverbs!).
However, the idiom _away from_ seems to be moving in the direction of a
prepositional phrase modifying _away_.  If you can't live with ellipsis,
then perhaps you will have to have some of these basic syntactic functions
taken over by the parts that do appear. Maybe _miles_ would then take over
as the head with _away_ modifying it, or prossibly better vice versa.  They
are both adverbial with very similar meaning, one being simply more specific
than the other.

I hope this helps.

Bruce