Bill,
   In my dealings with traditional school grammar, I don't think the term "finite" generally comes up.  In other words, we can see that this is their thinking, but they haven't theorized it out for themselves. I think you are giving them more credit than they deserve by implying that this is merely a disagreement in how we apply the term.
    I'm a big fan of Understanding English Grammar, but Martha defines a clause as a group of words that includes a subject and predicate and defines absolute as a noun plus modifier. She does require a main or predicating verb for a predicate, so perhaps she is covered there.  Diana Hacker, in her Writer's Reference, defines subordinate clause as a word group that "contains a subject and predicate, but it functions within a sentence as an adjective, an adverb, or a noun; it cannot stand alone."  The predicate for her is a verb plus its complements and modifiers, which would seem to leave the door open for nonfinite predicates (which have verbs and complements and modifiers.) Her definition echoes the definition I was raised on, that a clause is a group of words with subject and predicate ( in the case of commands, at least, the subject is sometimes implied.)
     In the one hand holding the bat loosely was his good one, "holding the bat loosely" is clearly a restrictive modifier of "the one hand", but I don't think you can make that case for the meaning structure within an absolute.
   His feet planted solidly, legs flexed, hands holding the bat loosely, Paul waited for the payoff pitch.  If these were nonrestrictive modifiers, we would ask for commas, which clearly don't work; if restrictive, they would be telling us which feet, which legs, which hands, and so on, which is clearly not the case. The internal structure is clause like, and traditional grammar obscures that reality.
    I think we certainly should contradict textbooks when they are clearly wrong, especially when we have some hope of making  understanding useful. Nonfinite clause is not a difficult concept.

Craig

Spruiell, William C wrote:

Craig,

The term is partly based on a terminological position that’s common in traditional American school grammars: “It’s not a clause unless it’s finite.” There’s no reason why one can’t adopt alternate definitions, of course, and many of us do (e.g. everyone who uses the term “nonfinite clause”). If you’re a K-12 teacher whose required student texts repeatedly tell students that clauses must be finite, you’d have to stick to “absolute phrase” or spend a lot of time contradicting their textbooks. It’s difficult to overestimate the inertial effects of school grammar books, alas.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University