I came across another bit from Jespersen that offers some historical insight into the presence and absence of “that”.  He’s speaking of content clauses, but the same applies pretty much to relative clauses:

In combinations like “I think he is dead” it is historically wrong to say that the conjunction that is omitted.  Both “I think he is dead” and “I think that he is dead” are evolved out of original parataxis of two independent sentences:  “I think:  he is dead” and “I think that:  he is dead”.  In the second the word that, which was originally the demonstrative pronoun, was accentually weakened, as shown also in the vowel, which is now usually [@] (schwa) and not [ae] as in the demonstrative pronoun, and this weakened that came to be felt to belong to the clause instead of, as originally , to what preceded, i. e. it became a “conjunction”.

He goes on with some further very interesting discussion, but I’ll leave that to others to look up if it interests them.

Herb

Bill,

The examples you give are all what I have called the declarative noun clause.  The key to understanding the distribution is to realize that such a clause may appear in the same uses as a noun phrase.  Just as there are occasions when the noun phrase is used adverbially, so the DecNC may appear in such structures.  The connective for the DecNC is "that."

(A) i. The proposal did not address budgetary concerns.

(A) m. It was problematic in this regard.

The matrix uses a prepostional phrase adverbially.

(B) i. The proposal did not address budgetary concerns. (= A i )

(B) m. It was acceptable except for this fact.

Here the adverb "except" is complemented by a prepositional phrase.  As is quite common, the DecNC dissolves the preposition of a complement.  Compare,

John was sorry that it did not address budgetary concerns.

m. John was sorry about this fact.

Notice also that the noun "fact" is often appropriate to express the way the content of the clause is to be regarded.  The last example is reduced from a compound sentence.  The matrix would be:

(C) m. There was no question about it.

The compound sentence using the adversative requires a contrast; the negative in the first sentence would be one of these:

(C) i1.  The proposal may have addressed budgetary concerns.  (conceivably)

(C) i2.  The proposal did not address budgetary concerns. (= A i)

(C) i. The proposal may have addressed budgetary concerns, but it did not.

(C) i'. It may have, but the proposal did not address budgetary concerns.

The matrix then takes the DecNC with the first part of the imbed understood.  I think that each of these phenomena need to be explained independently, before the full construction can be explained fully.  Maybe this way of looking at the structure will help.

Bruce.

Herb,

I think that an argument can be made for a distinction between A-B on the one hand, and C on the other (they aren’t completely parallel, so the distinction may be vacuous, but it’s a start):

(A) The proposal was problematic in that it did not address budgetary concerns.

(B) The proposal was acceptable except that it did not address budgetary concerns.

(C) There was no question but that the proposal did not address budgetary concerns.

Removing the “X that” constituent yields the following:

(A’) The proposal was problematic.

(B’) The proposal was acceptable.

(C’) There was no question.

The “but that” expression in C seems to be pinning down the meaning of “question” in a way that’s much more crucial to the interpretation of the sentence than the expressions in A and B pin down the meaning of what they modify – i.e., I can see the “but that” expression as acting much more like a restrictive relative (“Which question?). Of course, A and B have adjectives, rather than nouns, which may be causing the difference. The only examples of “in that” I could devise in which it modified a noun involved assignment to categories:

           The platypus is a typical mammal in that it provides milk to its young, but is an atypical mammal in that it lays eggs.

I don’t think the “in that” construction is modifying “mammal” in this case the same way “but that” modifies “question” in the earlier one. In this type of example an adjectival constituent (“[is] typically mammalian”) can be substituted for the nominal version without much change in meaning; the same kind of substitution (question à questionable) won’t work with C.

Again, I’m honestly not sure what this means, if anything at all – it’s an interesting construction, and I’m just gnawing on it (if I live to be ninety, I think I’ll still be encountering constructions I never really thought about closely before). As you pointed out, it’s “fossilized” to large extent, and could be expected to be anomalous. I’m just wondering if this is the kind of case that led Curme to class “but that” as a relativizer.

Bill Spruiell