From: Craig Hancock [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 11:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Go camping

Edith,
    To me, the equivalent to "go on hunting" is "keep hunting".  One is a statement about participation in a process (go hunting, which may require many steps to carry out), the other about continuation.  Processes have beginnings and duration, and we can engage in these willfully.  Both, it seems to me, express willfulness (although we can certainly say "there I go shooting my mouth off again".)
    I have nothing else to offer an interesting talk, which is really about how to understand a phenomena that doesn't neatly fit our previous categories.

Craig

Wollin, Edith wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
My understanding of this idiom is that it is a fossilized form of the phrase that we all know from "A' hunting we will go."  This is a contracted form of "we will go on hunting." So it used to be an adverbial prepositional phrase with "hunting" as a gerund object of the preposition. So I have always understood it to be today an adverbial noun/gerund. I admit that like Bruce I tend to look at history to understand the present, and it is certainly possible that that is irrelevant.

Edith Wollin, North Seattle Community College