Re: Braddock's "incorrect conclusions"
Tim,

Hi again. Thanks for clearing up what you meant. I would add to your remarks that it was also Harris, not the writers of the Braddock report,  who omitted the crucial qualifying phrase about time being taken away from composition.

As is often the case, problems of interpretation can arise when writers do not clarify what they mean when they say they are or are not teaching grammar. "Teaching grammar" can refer to anything from drill-and-kill to teaching correctness in the context of students' own writing. It is probable that everyone who teaches composition could be said to take time away from composition to teach grammar; it all depends on what one means by teaching grammar.

Bill

PS: My best to your fearless leader, Fred Kemp. He's one of the few people I know that could have put together such an enlightened and cohesive program as you have at Texas Tech.

Hi Bill,
Bill,
Well, actually, I think both Braddock and Hillocks state that it is "formal grammar" that they are opposed to. But they don't always define what they mean very clearly, and I don't think there is any doubt that Braddock's statements (and later Hillocks's as well) were understood by many to include the condemnation of much more than just formal, drill-based grammar.
However, I probably should have explained better what I meant by "incorrect conclusions."
It's really fairly simple: Harris misrepresented his own 1962 dissertation by claiming that his "non-grammar" group studied no grammar, when in fact they did--they studied what we would call "functional grammar." This has been pointed out in articles by Bamberg (1978) and Tomlinson (1994). Further, the non-grammar group was coached in avoiding the errors that would be looked for on the posttest analysis, in effect seriously compromising Harris's research. So, the results Harris claimed for his research were at best tainted, if not completely non-valid. This point was also made, in slightly different terms, by Martha Kolln in her 1981 article "Closing the Books on Alchemy."
Braddock then took Harris's claims and built an entire anti-grammar empire on them. I still read articles that cite how Harris "once and for all" proved that teaching grammar is harmful to students. These statements are not being made by people who have read Harris's dissertation, but by people who have read Braddock's one sentence. But Mellon (1978, "A taxonomy of compositional competencies") strongly disputes the contention that taking time away from writing practice to work on grammar is harmful to students' writing. And there are many other studies that suggest that increasing the frequency of writing does not improve the quality of students' writing, all suggesting that Harris's secondary conclusion as well was incorrect.
So my question is, if Harris's claims were based on compromised research (and they were), and if subsequent studies have invalidated his conclusions, how much faith can we have in them? That is what I meant by "incorrect conclusions."
Now, having said that, I agree about the superiority of functional, contextual grammar teaching over non-contextual, drill-based grammar teaching, and am not suggesting a return to drill and kill. I understand, and agree with, the need for an emphasis on writing in the composition classroom. But why can there not be both? It is being done here at Texas Tech, for instance, where students in freshman English write more than they probably do in almost any other program anywhere--about 50 documents (roughly 3-4 per week) during the semester, including 12 major drafts, all totaling (the 50 documents) about 20,000 words, give or take--and grammar is taught as a part of every classroom session. Students write a lot _and_ they get some grammar instruction. Does it help their writing? Well, that's the subject of my dissertation. Stay tuned . . .
Tim

Tim Hadley

Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University