Ed,
   From what I understand, England now has not only a scope and sequence
for school instruction, but an officially sanctioned glossary to go with
it.  This solves the problem, not just of having terms in common, but of
having a place you can go to see what the consensus understanding is
that fits with the terms.  Apparently, this was done in harmony with
linguists, who had a chance to suggest corrections and changes.  (Not to
say there weren't disappointments and compromises.)  I haven't had a
good look at it yet, but it might be an interesting place to start.
     There seems to be some interest in putting together thoughtful
recommendations. I would assume that these questions are in line with
the scope and sequence project (ongoing.)  We should add terminology to
the mix.
    The U.S. being what it is, we may have to deal directly with
individual states, but it may be nice to have "ideal" recommendations to
use as a lens.
    I have my own problems with "gerundive", but that shouldn't obscure
the larger questions.

Craig