  _____

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edward Vavra
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 3:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Each sentence contains a thought

Ed,

    My problem with "Each sentence contains a thought" is that most
sentences contain several thoughts. I can't remember if I gave the following
explanation on this list recently, but .....

He lives in a house. (1 thought)

The house is green. (1 thought)

He lives in a green house. (1 thought?)

Ed

Dear Folks,
     I have my own ideas on this, but I wondered what some of you might
say---succinctly, if possible---to someone who made the assertion:  "Each
sentence contains a thought."  They are talking about the written language
and about American English.

Ed To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join
or leave the list"