Hello, Frances, Allison, and others,

Actually, I am at Texas Tech, which is definitely not to be confused
with the University of Texas, but I'll forgive. My dissertation is not
really on the topic that Allison has mentioned, though I guess it might
be considered somewhat similar in some ways.

My dissertation topic is "The Effect Of Direct, In-Class Grammar
Instruction On The Quality Of Student Writing." I am examining a set of
essays written by students in freshman English 1301-one group was in a
"cohort" class setting and received direct grammar instruction from a
teacher in every class meeting. The other group was in "extended
studies" classes and never met in a classroom setting, and thus never
received any direct grammar instruction from a teacher. Otherwise the
curriculum, assignments, grading procedures, and all other aspects of
the course were exactly the same. The study extends over 4 semesters. If
there is anything in this that would be helpful, I would happy to share
it.

As for Allison's topic, I have also done some study on the issue of
grammar in the writing center, depending on exactly what she is meaning
by her topic. I'd be glad to share what I know.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Editor, ATEG Journal