From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 12:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: See spot run

It might help if you saw the phrase in (1) as a bare infinitive.  Sometimes we let the semantics of an item drive the terminology of the syntax and morphology.  I can't help with your literature search.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/23/06 9:33 AM >>>
Anyone have a good resource that would provide both a n! ame and a description of the extent of distribution of what I am loosely calling a 'reduced participial phrase' as seen in (1) below as contrasted with a more customary participial phrase in (2).

             1)   See spot run.
              2)  See spot running.

Phil Bralich

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visi! t the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"
Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"