Nancy,

The half cup was not enough, I think.  If you reorder the sentence to make "running" etc. a part of the verb, you will see that the progressive aspect is all wrong.

John,

My feeling is that the phrase is definitely "running" as the adjective form of the verb.  The participal reading makes a lot of sense.  Its position at the front of the sentence is quite natural, and seems to bring the predicate adjective into focus.  Notice the nearly synonymous:
From the back of his skull down to the front runs a patch of white hair that opens up into his lips.
Such sentences are not unusual, where "run" has a copular function and connects the subject (like routes, rivers, roads and paths) to a locative:

A patch of white hair that opens up into his lips runs from the back of his skull down to the front.
The unusual part of it seems to be making the verb into a participial phrase and putting it in focus.  The logical subject is not changed when the adjective is brought forward. Its locative (adverbial) meaning seems to be retained.  Compare to the following:

There is a patch of white hair that opens up into his lips running from the back of his skull down to the front.
In this kind of paraphrase the focus position is taken by the so called expletive.  This word is historically an adverb.  The phrase seems to be taking its place.  Can we call the adjective phrase an expletive in this sense?

Bruce
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Nancy Tuten
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:06 AM
Subject: Re: What Is This?

I’ll take a stab—only half a cup of coffee into the morning, however.

“Running” is part of the verb:  Patch [subject] is running [verb].

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information about how to get to the conference this summer. I am working on getting there—largely because I want to put faces with all the names on this list!

Best,

Nancy