For what it's worth the 1889 work by Gordon A. Southworth & F. B. Goddard, Elements of Composition and Grammar
gives some interesting exceptions to the rule:

     NOTE 1.   In words ending with a sound that resembles that of s, the apostrophe with s forms an additional syllable. Thus: —
     James’s; Miss Finch’s [pron. James-ez, Finch-ez].
     NOTE 2.   The only exception to the rule occurs in such expressions as conscience’ sake, goodness’ sake, righteousness’ sake, Jesus’ sake, where the apostrophe alone is added to avoid the long hissing sound.
I think it is also interesting that the apostrophe has been lost, especially in Britain, in writing the plural of letters and numbers.

Bruce

>>> "Nancy Tuten" <[log in to unmask]> 06/05/06 10:10 PM >>>

Thanks for sharing that article, Paul.

I found one point odd, though: the authors suggest that grammarians widely favor putting only the apostrophe (and not an additional “s”) after singular nouns that end in “s.” Although I run into people in my business writing seminars frequently who have been taught that rule, it is not espoused by Chicago, MLA, or APA. In fact, until tonight, I had been unable to find it in print anywhere. Those three very reputable style guides (and a host of others) prescribe putting the apostrophe and an additional “s” after all singular nouns, whether they end in “s” or not.

We can have fun debating the merits of such rules, but what do you tell your students to do when they ask? I usually resort to explaining the whole notion of style guides and differences among disciplines, but first- and second-year students glaze over.

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD

Professor of English

Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program

Columbia College

Columbia, South Carolina

803-786-3706