Ditto from South Carolina. I catch myself saying it all the time, and when I correct myself, I always say “That’s a whole different thing” rather than “that’s another whole thing” because the latter sounds so strained to my ears after all these years.

Nancy

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of WANDA VANGOOR
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 8:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "To go" or not "to go"

Yep--grew up with it (Kentucky and Texas) and still use it a lot! "It's a whole nother thing" is the equivalent of "It's a whole different thing."  And none of us would ever have said "It's another whole thing."

Wanda Van Goor

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/23/06 8:19 AM >>>

Another interesting change that I have been listening for is the
switch from "another whole things" to "a whole nother thing" - I
began to hear it about 12 years ago - yesterday, I heard a professor
friend say it - haven't seen it in print yet - anybody else hearing
it?

Anne Greer

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"