Phil,

It may be that "eight is the number most generally cited" for parts
of speech, but empirically this is not correct. English has TEN parts
of speech, if you take a dictionary and categorize the words:

1. Article
2. Noun
3. Pronoun
4. Adjective
5. Numeral

5. Verb
6. Adverb

7. Preposition
8. Conjunction
9. Interjection

Eduard

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Phil Bralich wrote...

>I only use the number eight as that is the most common in the
literature.  Quirk and Greenbaum has ten; there are other
variations.  Eight is the number most generally sited.