For the record, when I ask my (usually very bright) high school students to identify the part of speech of a given word, I invariably get a large number of blank stares and "what's a part of speech?" responses from them. Apparently, the term is not comfortable enough for them to remember it well from year to year -- or perhaps they never learned it at all, and now it sounds odd to them.

Paul D.

----- Original Message ----
From: Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:14:38 PM
Subject: Re: Proposed grammar terms

I am not convinced. The term Parts of Speech is ubiquitous and people are more likely to wonder why it is being avoided or what it different about word classes than think the same set of terms is being presented.   You certainly do not want to give newbies the impression that Parts of Speech and Word Classes are something different as happens when you have other duplications of terminology such as predicate nominate and noun complement   It just makes students think the job is bigger than it is.  And you certainly don't want our need for entertainment to be the cause of students thinking there is something different between the word classes of ATEG and Parts of Speech of history and the rest of the world.

Phil Bralich