Craig and everyone,

I second Gretchen's comments. The ATEG listserve needs to remain the open forum it was intended to be. We can agree to disagree, but we should not agree to be silenced by negativity, disagreement, anger, or even threats. Keep the discussion, even the disagreements, going on this list! Let us all make our contributions in the spirit of caring for our future students and their teachers.

Paul D.

----- Original Message ----
From: Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 9:57:06 AM
Subject: Re: Scope and Sequence

In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:49:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Perhaps by it's very nature ATEG has to be a big tent organization that
can't endorse change without alienating its many highly conservative
members. If that's the case, then a rethinking of grammar has to happen
elsewhere.
Craig,

I'd hate to see this. I'm a member of NPG also, but I think that ATEG has something to contribute.  Just because there are conservatives on the list doesn't mean the whole list wants to go back to Warriners. I joined the list in reaction to my school's buying Warriners, and I wanted something different. I don't add a lot, as I don't have the knowledge of linguistics that many of you do, but I follow the ebb and flow.  I've gained a great deal from it.

If the US Congress has managed to work together with liberals and conservatives agreeing to disagree, surely we can.  An occasional ruckus could and should be ignored. If the conservatives want their own scope and sequence, let them use what's already there.  I don't see why you should suspend your efforts because some don't think you are making any headway or are headed in the wrong direction.  There are many of us who applaud you and the those who are trying to do the impossible.  We just aren't as vocal. Perhaps we should be, but I think there's a lot of support for what you are doing.

Ignore the naysayers. They can use Warriners if that's what they want.  They have a program. But don't abandon those of us who've been begging for a new approach program to implement in middle and high schools. We need you!

~Gretchen