Stahlke, Herbert F.W. wrote:

> Good point, Bruce.  Has anyone done a comparative description of
> /r/-insertion across dialects?  They don't all do it the same:
>  Southern US non-rhotic dialects don't do it at all while New England
> dialects do.  I don't know the range of variation in British dialects.
>
> Herb

Herb,

Besides the obvious /r/ insertion in "washing" that becomes "warshing,"
I don't know if anyone has done a formal study of  /r/ insertion, yet I
have noticed it in three different dialects: those dialects in certain
parts of New England, New York City, and Appalachia. But I believe that
certain phonological conditions have to take place for the /r/ to be
inserted. In New  England and New York City, the /r/ is inserted when
one word ends in a vowel and the next word begins with a vowel.
President Kennedy said "Cuber is," but didn't say "Spainer is."  Someone
supposedly asked Kennedy where the /r/ in "Cuber" came from, and he
replied that it was the /r/ left out of "Hahvard." In Appalachian
speech, an /r/ is inserted if the word ends in "ow.' So it's "holler,"
tobaccer" and "swaller." (You probably already know all of this, but
other readers may not.)

/l/ insertion also takes place in Appalachian speech in "fillum" for
"film." I believe the spelling of "colonel" is also affected by /l/
insertion. Are there others?

Herb, while I have your attention, let me ask you a question. In
Appalachian speech and other parts of the United States, especially in
the South, the past tense of "take" is often given as "taken." "I taken
a job in the mines." But the past tense of "eat" is not given as
"eaten." *"I eaten my lunch this morning." Any ideas about why?

Marshall