I could be sticking my neck out, but it seems to me that journalism has relaxed its rules excessively in recent years, or the quality of writing and editing has been lowered. I say this knowing full well that I am married to a newspaper editor who holds very high standards; also, The NY Times holds the reputation for highest standards in the industry (they literally wrote the book on journailstic writing). However, they all seem to have slipped a great deal -- even public radio has become careless (if this is the right word) in it's use of formal language. I'm not sure where this comes from, but I suspect that there is a direct correlation between this and the lack of formal (I did not say traditional!) grammar instruction in the lower grades (K-8? K-12?).

I would not accept a change of register as standard simply because of its use in the media, but I suspect I am in a minority.

Paul D.

----- Original Message ----
From: Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:52:38 AM
Subject: Re: Adverb of Manner

In a message dated 8/16/06 9:49:55 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

it is the case that as the language changes it tends to change in informal registers before the change creeps into more formal usage.  Teaching register as a part of teaching grammar is a good way to acquaint students with notions of appropriateness and of change in progress.

Good point, Herb.  But I guess what I'm puzzled by is how to know when a change has been accepted for writing in a fair(ly) formal register . . . like the New York Times.

Peter Adams