From: Edward Vavra [mailto: [log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:20:29 -0400
Subject: Re: The Purpose of the ATEG List

David,
It would be fine with me if they put the documents on the ATEG site, but I normally revise them for every semester. They are on-line. Links to them are at:
http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/LPlans/Start_MiddleSchool.htm
The links on that page are coordinated with links to the tentative course schedules.
The materials for ENL 001 are probably better than those for ENL 111, simply because in the 001 course I can spend more class time on grammar/sentence structure. As the ToC for the 001 course indicates, there are 18 pages of instructional material, followed by 28 exercises (two exercises per week). In approximately a third of the exercises, students will be analyzing a paragraph from one of their own papers and then working in small groups to check and discuss their work. This is a new arrangement for this course, and my sense is that it will be more efffective because the students will be spending more time on direct application to their own writing.

The objectives in the 111 course are broader and include more work on style and logic, but much of the work has to be done out of class--we simply do not have class time to spare. Here again I am limited to 28-30 lessons/exercises, simply because i'm working within a fifteen week semester and some classes only meet twice a week. My experience has been that those students who study and do the initial exercises can get a fairly decent grasp of the questions related to style, logic, texture, etc.
I still have some changes to make to the 111 materials before our semester starts on Monday. If anyone is interested in using or adapting these materials, I would be very interested in discussing what works and what doesn't.
Ed

Ed,

Will those MS Word documents be available on the ATEG website? I'm sure that I'm not the only Interested teacher .

Peace,

David Brown
ESL/EFL teacher
Long Beach, CA