From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter Adams
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Conjunctive Adverbs

In a message dated 9/10/06 5:55:25 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

Peter, I know what you mean about conjunctive adverbs.  They are “mobile,” as are adverbs.

However, conjunctive adverbs cannot be intensified, which is, I think, a property adverbs have: very suddenly, for example.  Nor are conjunctive adverbs able to modify verbs.

Good points, Christine, but consider the following.  Some adverbs also cannot be intensified:  always, sometimes, now, today, never.  I don't think anyone would argue these are not adverbs.

Also, take a look at these:

     Christine likes adverbs, but Herb, nevertheless, prefers conjunctions.
     Ed believes in innate knowledge, and Phil, therefore, agrees with him.

In these two, it seems clear that the so-called conjunctive adverb is not joining the two clauses; the coordinating conjunctions are serving that purpose.  So would we still call them conjunctions in sentences like these?

Or how about in a simple declarative sentence.

Roger Federer won the US Open, for example, in four sets.

Why would we want to consider for example to be a conjunction in a sentence like this.  Or would we?

Peter Adams