Herb,

I agree—adverbs do seem to be a grab bag.

And where did we get this eight-parts-of-speech notion?

Christine

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stahlke, Herbert F.W.
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 8:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Conjunctive Adverbs

Adverb is, and has always been, a grab bag.  If it doesn’t work as a noun, adjective, verb, etc. call it an adverb and be done with it, and then don’t be too careful in defining what an adverb is.  Part of the problem here is the, usually unconsidered, decision to limit ourselves to eight parts of speech or to accept traditional definitions.  But the deeper problem lies in the notion category itself, the idea that a word is one part of speech or another and that those categories are discrete.  The fact is that the categories have fuzzy edges, or, better, the categories represent prototypical sets of morphological, syntactic, semantic, and functional characteristics that define a small class of words, and words that share some of these characteristics are then assigned to the class as well.  Since a lot of students, and a lot of teachers, won’t ask the difficult questions about received wisdom, the names and the misconceptions persist.  Klammer is right in distinguishing “always” etc. from adverbs.  I’m not sure calling them qualifiers is a step forward though, since it simply establishes another category and labels it with a term that already has a meaning, if a questionable one, in traditional grammar (“adjectives qualify, adverbs modify”).

Herb