In a message dated 9/25/06 10:33:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> It seems to me that 'couple' is singular in both expressions ("a couple" =
> only one grouping of two in either case). In conversation, people often drop
> the "of" in "a couple of Xs," but I think the preposition is really required
> all the time.

Good questions, Christine.   I think Paul is right when the couple is really
a "couple," a unit of two, a grouping, as he puts it.   But we often use
couple to mean several.   "There are a couple of mistakes in this email."   Here
these mistakes are not a "unit" or a "grouping" and so I would think couple is
plural when used this way.   Surely, no one would say "There is a couple of
mistakes in this email."

The New York Times style manual allows both singular and plural senses, and
goes on to "outlaw" phrases like a "couple pomegranates."

Peter Adams