From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Stahlke, Herbert F.W.
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: "Best" or "Better"

Chuck,

You’re not splitting hairs.  There are two distinct uses for better and best.  In the usage grammars generally assume, as in “This is a better essay than it was before,” and “This is the best essay I’ve read on this assignment,” it’s clearly referring to a known essay within a known set.  However, there is also a legitimate usage “This is one of the better essays on this topic,” and “This is one of the best essays on this topic,” where the comparison is to an indefinite set.  In this case, the former set “one of the better” is smaller and less distinguished than the latter set “one of the best”.  It’s a legitimate distinction that writers should be allowed to make.  This is not to deny that the distinction can be misused.  I’ve noticed that sports announcers rarely, if ever, use “one of the best”, perhaps because of a professional constraint on modesty of expression.  Here the culture seems to discourage one of the options.

Herb