Ed,

I agree that a state-by-state listing would be tremendously helpful, and if there’s room for a follow-up project or to broaden the scope of this one, I’d like to pursue it.  I’m primarily interested in national accreditation standards right now, especially those under NCTE/NCATE, along with hiring practices within teacher certification programs in English.  The NCTE is asking for increased attention to language in its standards for program accreditation, but it’s not clear who should be teaching the courses that are often put forward to satisfy those requirements.  What kind of background in linguistics, writing, pedagogy, etc., is appropriate for those who teach the future English teachers?

Andrew

Andrew Smyth

Assistant Professor of English

Southern Connecticut State University