Or, have everyone think for a while individually and write down his/her
proposed "rule" (no blurting!).  After a reasonable interval, I would go
around the class and check or make suggestions.  This way, all must think;
they cannot sit back and let the quick, aggressive ones do it for them.
For example, my classes had fun discovering a spelling principle when I
would write the following on the board:

 refer + ing = referring

refer + ence = reference

occur + ing  = occurring

occur + ence = occurrence

After most "got" it, we'd think of other examples.  Like marvel + ous =
marvelous.

Much more active a process for students than if I just said, "Now learn
this."

Jane Saral (retired, hence the past tense)
Atlanta