Actually, my flagging idea was made with tongue hovering near cheek.  Nevertheless, it would be useful to know when a member would like her/his idea to be taken seriously in a research sense.  When I read Gretchen's description of her approach, I assumed that she would like it to have been treated in this way.  If I had known that all she wanted was to 'kick the idea around', I would not have put a foot anywhere near the ball.

Ron Sheen.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul E. Doniger
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:15 AM
  Subject: Re: Purposes of this listserve (Was: Response to Gretchen and Scott Woods)

  I would respectfully remind all that ATEG specifically states its purpose on its web page: "ATEG, an Assembly of the National Council of Teachers of English is a national forum for discussing the teaching of grammar, and welcomes all views on the role of grammar in our schools." 'Forum' and 'discussing' do not necessarily require citations of evidence nor proof of successes. They simply means that anyone with ideas, anecdotes, or experiences in the teaching of grammar that they wish to share, get assistance with, or chat about has the right to do so on these pages and may (should) expect a fair, thoughtful, and civil series of responses.

   Yes, as Ron says, we should have "both" (or perhaps several) purposes -- both scholarly and anecdotal postings are useful to us. However, I don't think "flagging" our postings is a good idea. It doesn't take a great effort to skim an e-mail or read its subject line and decide whether one wishes to read or delete.

  We need to remain as open minded and flexible as we can if we are to achieve anything meaningful as a group.

  Paul E. Doniger