As an adjunct instructor, I usually content myself to read these discussions with interest, but some of these seem to be worth chiming in on despite the possibility of looking foolish in front of people with many more years of experience.

I always tend to question distinctions of induction and deduction because it seems that inductive reasoning ultimately rests on deductive reasoning or assumptions. In Johanna's examples or even in Ron's more "inductive" strategy, the exercise is created to arrive at a convention/rule/"rule of thumb" that has already been deduced by the instructor.

The questionable distinction between deduction and induction is something brought up in Jeanne Fahnestock and Marie Secor's 1983 article "Teaching Argument: A Theory of Types", an article I have sometimes used to discuss argument with students. In the article Fahnestock and Secor cite Karl Popper who argues:

    But in fact the belief that we can start with pure observation alone, without anything in the nature of a theory, is
    absurd...
        Twenty-five years ago I tried to bring this home the same point to a group of physics students in Vienna by
    beginning the lecture with the following instructions: "Take pencil and paper; carefully observe and write down what
    you have observed!" They asked, of course, what I wanted them to observe. Clearly the instruction 'Observe!' is
    absurd.... Observation is always selective. It needs a chosen object, a definite task, an interest, a point of view, a
    problem."

                    --Conjectures and Refutations: The Growth of Scientific Knowledge. Harper and Row 1963

Essentially, we cannot begin to inductively reason until we have deductively determined an idea to base the induction on. In Johanna's examples, she is leading students to the deductively determined idea. Ron's alternatives present more accurately a teaching method that instructs students simply to "Observe!" and draw conclusions--likely removing the very element that might make Johanna's tactics so useful. Even in Ron's examples, instructors already have a deductive rule that they want the students to arrive at inductively; highlighting the subjects and predicates reveals the deduction present.

Ultimately, I think the question of induction vs. deduction is moot. Whether tactics focus on applying a rule to a specific example or using multiple examples to arrive at a rule, the real question is whether they work for students. As a student, I always chaffed at "inductive" pedagogies because, in my pride, I felt somewhat insulted by the round about method the teacher was using to tell us what she/he wanted us to know. I cannot, however, deductively assume that I was a typical student. Many students likely benefit from discovering something themselves instead of being told a principle first then shown examples--a tactic I employ often myself in spite of my own aversion to it. For different students, we need different approaches.

That is my understanding and take on the subject, but I look forward to more experienced views.

John H. Whicker
Adjunct Faculty
Department of English
Utah Valley State College