John -

Excellent point. I suspect that the deduction/induction distinction is
so prominent that we tend to overextend it. To logicians, I think, the
main difference between the two is based simply on how necessarily true
the claim is, given the premises; induction always gives you probability
statements, since what you're observing might be a fluke. Charles Peirce
came up with the somewhat unfortunate term "abduction" to describe how
most people's hypotheses work, and most of what goes on in classrooms is
probably abductive in this sense (if I'm understanding Peirce's
definitions correctly, which is a big if).

There's a concept from cognitive psychology that seems to more directly
address the problems inherent with old-fashioned drills - "depth of
processing." It comes from work done by Craik and Tulving in the 70s; my
now rather archaic memory-psych textbook (Stern 1985) quotes Craik and
Tulving's main claim as follows (p. 219):

It is abundantly clear that what determines the level of recall or
recognition of word event is not intention to learn, the amount of
effort involved, the difficulty of the orienting task, the amount of
time spent making judgments about the items, or even the amount of
rehearsal the items receive; rather, it is the qualitative nature of the
task, the kind of operations carried out on the items, that determines
retention.

Craik and Tulving were talking only about memory for specific word
presentations, but the basic principle was, if I remember correctly,
borne out more generally for other kinds of learning (with "learning"
here meaning very narrowly "encoded in long-term memory"). When subjects
were asked to relate words to other information (synonyms, for example),
they remembered them better than when they related them only to other
words based on sound (rhyming), etc.

It's a bit of a leap (yes, that was an official Hedging Comment; I'm way
outside my field here), but one can see the depth of processing  idea as
supporting the notion that the further up Bloom's hierarchy of critical
thinking skills students are required to go with a particular subject,
the better they'll remember it.  And instructors can design both
"top-down" and "bottom-up" classroom activities that are fiendishly
clever, and require lots of critical thinking.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University