From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ATEG Digest - 6 Sep 2007 to 7 Sep 2007 (#2007-103)

I have encountered secondary school English teachers at conferences who

considered grammar as a worthless hold-over from the days of grammar school.

I was arguing the point and describing my personal experience as a freshman

college student in Freshman English in a writing-based curriculum that

stressed recognition and avoidance of grammatical errors (1st quarter),

usage errors (2nd quarter), and rhetoric/description/argument (3rd quarter).

A careful listener in the group, who had been taking notes while I was then

identified himself as an assistant professor who had been desperately

seeking such a curriculum for his university freshman program.  Upon

learning what school I had attended, his face sank and he responded, "That's

where I teach now."  Apparently the standards at the school had dropped in

the decade since I attended in the'50's.

If teachers do not learn grammar in school, how can we expect them to teach

grammar.  Florida required a course in advanced grammar for its English

teachers.  I just reviewed the synopsis of a History of English course that

quickly ran through the history of English and its grammar so that the

students could spend the second half of the course on the equality of their

dialects and on the English spoken in the rest of the world.  A note to the

course assured students that the course met the FL requirement for advanced

grammar.  Imagine the fun that these students will have if their school is

so backward and normative as to require them to teach grammar.

Scott Catledge (I never met a sentence that I could not diagram).

Date:    Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:03:44 EDT

From:    Bev Sims <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: Silly, rewarding grammar period

Gretchen,

    How delightful to read your e-mail. You, obviously,  have made learning

parts of speech fun. That's terrific! I think you have a book  in you

here--many need to learn from what you are doing.  I have found that  my

students almost crave learning about parts of speech and other

"grammar-type" things. I'm wondering if it is partly due to teachers before

steering away from such teaching, and the kids know they are missing out of

something. I don't know, but I DO know I like your enthusiasm and theirs.

Keep  up the good work. Teddy