From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Smyth
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Who Teaches the Grammar Course?

Dear ATEG members:

I’m researching who most typically teaches the grammar course (or preferably two or more classes involving study of language, grammar, and/or methods of incorporating language instruction into one’s curriculum) in programs that prepare secondary education students in English Language Arts.  Are people with PhDs in linguistics more commonly recruited?  Or those with some combination of linguistics, education, comp/rhet, etc.?  I’d love to hear about the backgrounds of people who typically teach such courses at your instititutions.

Thanks so much,

Andrew

Andrew Smyth

Assistant Professor of English