Nancy,

The phrase "the town where I was born" can be read as "the town in
which I was born."  Now the clause  has an adverbial prepositional
phrase--and the diagram would show that phrase in the same place as
the "where" is shown: i.e., modifying the verb "was born."

In a sense, both which and where are pronominal, in that they refer
to the noun town. If you do the substitution with "in which," you
obviously have a pronominal--a relative pronoun that functions as the
object of a preposition (a nominal function) in its own clause.  I
put where on an "adverb" line (i.e., diagonally below the verb)--as a
"there" substitute of sorts.  But you could certainly put it on a
prepositional phrase line, leaving the preposition spot empty.  I
think that's what your students want to do, right?  They can think of
it as "the town (at) where I was born."

When I was in ninth grade, a teacher pointed out to me that I didn't
need "at" when I asked "where"; I had asked her "Where is it at?"
"Where at" is a fairly common usage--so why not "at where"?

The where and when and  why relative clauses are not very
common--especially why--because they modify only nouns of place and
time and, in the case of why, the noun reason (that's the only one I
can think of-- although I guess there might be others, synonyms for
reason).

Tell your students to keep questioning. The form/function distinction
does indeed give them a way to think.

Martha