From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar on behalf of Johanna Rubba
Sent: Sun 10/7/2007 4:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Part of speech query

I'm afraid I do find it objectionable to use the term "pronoun" for
items that do not, in fact, function as such. It's another way that
traditional grammar can cause confusion by mushing distinctions (as
is done with form and function for adjectives) or by giving
incomplete or inaccurate descriptions (e.g., that a pronoun stands in
for a noun, not a noun phrase, or that simple present tense means
actual present time for all verbs, not just state verbs).

Now, language itself is pretty good at mushing distinctions, but we
analysts of language can at least aim for clean-cut terminology use.
I don't think much can be done about the use of "possessive pronoun"
for the items in question, but ... if I were queen of the world ...

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374