The way I understand this issue is that there are phrasal verbs which
consist of a verb plus a particle , and there are phrasal verbs which
consist of a verb plus a preposition.  Verb plus preposition
constructions, as I understand it, are usually transitive. The way to
identify verb plus preposition constructions is to make the sentence
into a passive.  If the preposition stays with the verb, it is a phrasal
verb.

I think about food a lot.

Food is thought about a lot by me.  Because food becomes the subject of
the passive and about stays with the verb, about can be determined to be
part of the verb.  You couldn't say *About food is thought a lot by me.

We agreed on the solution.

The solution was agreed on by us.  You couldn't say *On the solution was
agreed by us.

However, considerth is sentence: My brother looked up the block. It
cannot be made passive, but you could possibly say this: Up the block my
brother looked. 'Up the block' is moveable like many other adverbials.

According to Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartik, there is another
category of phrasal verb which consists of a verb plus both a
preposition and a particle.

I look forward to the party.

The party is looked forward to by us.

Looking forward to seems to mean something like anticipate.  I have
noticed that most phrasal verbs appear to have Latin-based one-word near
synonyms.

Additionally, my understanding of phrasal verbs isn't that the particle
or preposition modify the verb, but rather that the verb plus particle
or  preposition creates an idiomatic meaning which is different from
either the verb or particle/preposition.  In my experience, these
constructions make ESL students crazy.

A good resource for this issue is Longman's Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs.
Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartik also discuss this extensively.  They
claim there are five categories of phrasal verbs.

Janet Castilleja

Heritage University

Toppenish  WA