From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2007 8:51:51 AM
Subject: Re: Instruction versus learning

Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

At the moment, we simply do not have an agreed upon theory of how
knowledge about language might carry over into both reading and writing.
If we did, then we could measure the acquisition of knowledge as a
separate step.
Craig,
Shouldn't evidence of knowledge about language carrying over into both reading and writing form the basis of a theory?  Starting with the hypothesis that specific knowledge about language may improve reading and writing, couldn't we then gather evidence to support this hypothesis?  Can't we just measure the acquisition of knowledge and relate it to changes in reading and writing in order to develop a theory?  Does it matter if people agree with the theory?

Scott

http://mail.yahoo.com To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"