Thank you to all who took time to respond to my question. I’d never dreamed that “snicker-snack” could open so many interesting (and exciting) avenues of thought. You are generous, indeed – I’m glad I came out of lurkdom to ask the question!

Kathleen

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathi Bethell
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: onomotopoeia

The question of onomotopoeia came up in a class discussion this past week.  A student questioned the form class of “Snicker-snack” (as in “the vorpal blade went snicker-snack!”). We moved on to animal sounds, comic book sound effects (Pow! Zap! Kerplunk!) and thoroughly amused and confused ourselves.

The cow says “moo.”

The mooing cows moved toward the barn.

The cow smiled mooily (okay, we were goofing off by then).

It’s easy to identify the verbs, adjectives, adverbs – but what are the onomotopoetic words themselves? Although moo can be a noun (the cow had a loud moo), what is snicker-snack?

Kathleen Bethell

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"