OK, I'll admit it.  This is one of those places where being a creative
writer has completely ruined me.  I tend to use commas as pauses, and if
there is no sense of pause, then I use no comma.

So for me at least, the second sentence: "Matthew wanted to play soccer, but
the doctor said he should rest his injured leg." does not look "cluttered"
at all, but sensible - there is a pause implied by "but" that, in my head,
requires a comma.  The first sentence: "Grandad has actually got manners but
he doesn't use them that much anymore and he hasn't let the dog see them,
which is why Cement is utterly mannerless." could work as it stands, if that
is the rushed utterance of a child (in dialogue), but if I were to write it
myself I would probably end up with: "Grandad has actually got manners, but
he doesn't use them that much anymore; he hasn't let the dog see them,
either, which is why Cement is utterly mannerless."

And all, some, or none of those might be "correct," from a prescriptive
bias!  I don't even know if I know when to apply that particular rule
anymore.  But what I do not know, and would be interested in hearing, is how
other people express the teaching of comma usage.

-patty

  _____