First, I can't at the moment think of a single politician who does not use "fluff' and "padding." They probably all give us opportunities to show our students what to avoid in good writing.

Second, this is a listserve devoted to the discussion of ideas about the teaching of English grammar; we should avoid the temptation (as I daily do in several venues where such expressions would be inappropriate) to express our opinions on political questions. I'm not saying this as well as Bob Yates did earlier today, but I think it's time we got back on track and limited our discussion to the topics this list was created for. We do not have a list moderator who is empowered to revue all e-mails and eliminate the inappropriate or the off point postings; therefore, we must edit ourselves.
Paul D.
----- Original Message ----
From: Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 11:19:59 AM
Subject: Obama vs. Clinton

I'm sure many of you saw the debates last night; I only saw part of them, but from what I saw, I think that Hillary Clinton was more effective. Obama seemed to fumble over his answers and even in his speech. Clinton was very direct and to the point. I do believe that Obama wastes words or at least, last night, he had a lot of empty rhetoric in his replies. I teach my students to avoid "fluff" and "padding" in their essays, and I felt that much of what he said was hedging or evading the answer. As to the charges of plagiarism by Clinton, Obama's reply that his friend "gave him permission" to use these lines does not exonerate him from the responsibility of giving attribution for the borrowed phrases, does it? I mean, even if I'm friends with Bill Clinton (which I'm not), I can't just "lift" entire passages from his previous speeches and then give them without attribution, with or without his permission. Or can I? I'm interested in what other's perceptions are. I have not heard Obama speak in the past, so I'm only going by what I heard last night.

Carol

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"